Shettleston Harriers Privacy Notice
Shettleston Harriers is an athletics club from the East End of Glasgow, who competes across all athletic disciplines including cross country, hill running, track and field, and road running of all distances.
Our purpose is the advancement of public participation in sport for all abilities, the provision of recreational facilities, or the organisation of recreational activities, with the object of improving the conditions of life for the persons for whom the facilities or activities are primarily intended.
We are affiliated to Scottish Athletics Ltd and various bodies through that organisation and registered with The Scottish Charity Regulator.
Shettleston Harriers will be a “controller” of the personal information that you provide to us in the club membership form and through other forms of correspondence.
When you register as a member of Shettleston harriers or renew your membership (including if you are registering or renewing on behalf of a child under the age of 16 years of age) we will ask you for the following personal information:
• contact details– name, address, email address, date of birth, etc;
• participation details – for example, Road, Track, etc.;
• equality information – for example, medical condition, disability, etc.
• Any other personal information, for example, SA membership No, Emergency Contact details, etc.
Why we need your personal information – contractual purposes
We need to collect our members’ personal information so that we can manage your membership.
We will use our members’ personal information to:
• provide you with core member services, including insurance, voting, events, etc.;
• set up your online membership account;
• send and give you membership communications by paper, email or by phone in relation to essential membership services, [including but not limited to, general meeting notices, membership renewals, membership fees’ information, etc.
If you do not provide us with all the personal information that we need to collect, then this may affect our ability to offer the above membership services and benefits.
Participants’ personal data:
When you book a place with us for and attend a coaching course, competition, event, training course, etc, we need to collect your personal information so that we can honour your booking and to enable you to participate in the course, competition, event, etc.
If you do not provide us with all the personal information that we need to collect, then this make affect our ability to book your place.
Why we need your personal information – legitimate purpose
We also process our members’ personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests to:
• promote and encourage participation in athletics by sending members’ communications and booking information for upcoming competitions and events. Our competitions and events may be filmed or photographed, and your personal information may also be used in images captured from our competitions and events, which we use for promotional, education and development purposes;
• provide competition in athletics by accepting and managing entries for our competitions and checking your personal information to ensure you are entered in the correct category;
• monitor and develop participation in athletics by monitoring members’ engagement and participation through athletics and inviting our members to participate in surveys for researching and development purposes;
• invite our members as award winners or guests to our annual awards, which includes asking our members to nominate individuals for awards and shortlisting such individuals to select the winners, who we will then contact by email];
• develop and maintain our members’ qualifications, including sending email communications to members to inform you of upcoming courses, renewal requirements and verify that you have completed any mandatory training and PVG / child protection requirements;
• respond to and communicate with members regarding your questions, comments, support needs or complaints, concerns or allegations in relation to athletics. Please check Shettleston Harriers’ Constitution which details our complaints and disciplinary procedures, for example, we will use your personal information to investigate your complaint, to suspend membership, take disciplinary action, etc;
• as part of your application to undertake regulated work on behalf of Shettleston Harriers we will process an application and references about suitability for the role and, crucially, a PVG application via Scottish Athletics, an enrolled organisation with Volunteer Scotland, with whom we are a secondary contact organisation. Scottish Athletics will need to collect personal information relating to criminal convictions or alleged commission of criminal offences where you are required to complete a PVG check under the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act 2007 and may share this information with us when deciding on your appointment to regulated work with Shettleston Harriers. This information will include your PVG certificate number, PVG membership number, date of issue and any relevant information in relation to your membership of the PVG Scheme. If your PVG certificate is not clear, we will have a legitimate interest to collect further references and any other applicable information to allow us to consider whether you can volunteer in a regulated role with children and/or vulnerable adults
• the Companies Act 2006 / Charities and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Act 2005 to maintain a register of our members, which includes our members’ name, address, the date they were admitted to membership and the date on which they ceased to be our member and hold general meetings, including issuing notices and voting arrangements;
• the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act 2007 to check that our coaches and volunteers are able to undertake regulated work with children and vulnerable adults;
• the Equality Act 2010, which requires us to process personal information to make reasonable adjustments where necessary;
Where we process your personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests, you have the right to object to us using your personal information for the above purposes. If you wish to object to any of the above processing, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org. If we agree and comply with your objection, this may affect our ability to undertake the tasks above for the benefit of you as a member.
Other uses of your personal information
We may ask you if we can process your personal information for additional purposes, (For example, events, courses). Where we do so, we will provide you with an additional privacy notice with information on how we will use your information for these additional purposes.
Who we share your personal information with
If your personal information is included in any images or videos taken by us at our competitions and events, we may share this with various bodies for promotional and/or journalistic purposes.
We may be required to share personal information with statutory or regulatory authorities and organisations to comply with statutory obligations.
Such organisations include the Health & Safety Executive, Disclosure Scotland, and Police Scotland for the purposes of safeguarding children, vulnerable adults and health and safety.
We may also share personal information with our professional and legal advisors for the purposes of taking advice.
Shettleston Harriers employs third party suppliers to provide services, including IT, data storage, etc. These suppliers may process personal information on our behalf as “processors” and are subject to written contractual conditions to only process that personal information under our instructions and protect it.
In the event that we do share personal information with external third parties, we will only share such personal information strictly required for the specific purposes and take reasonable steps to ensure that recipients shall only process the disclosed personal information in accordance with those purposes.
Scottish Athletics Ltd Members’ Personal Data
As an affiliated club of Scottish Athletics Ltd we are required to ensure that all of our members are members of Scottish Athletics Ltd as a condition of our affiliation.
We will share name, dob, address, contact details with Scottish Athletics Ltd who will become a controller of your personal information when they receive it. Scottish Athletics’ privacy notice explains how they use your personal information and can be accessed here https://www.scottishathletics.org.uk/privacy-policy/ .
Athletes’ / Participants’ personal data
We publish the results of competitions on our website. This includes competitors’ name, age group, result.
How we protect your personal information
Your personal information is stored on our electronic filing system and our servers are based in the UK and is accessed by our staff / volunteers for the purposes set out above.
We are required to transfer your personal information out with the EU for the purposes of entering athletes into competitions, storage of club documents such as accounts, etc. Where your personal information is transferred out with the EU, we will provide you with information regarding the safeguards that we have put in place with the recipient country to protect your personal information.
How long we keep your personal information
We will only keep your personal information for as long as necessary to provide you with membership services. Unless you ask us not to, we will review and possibly delete your personal information where you have not renewed your membership with us for 10 years.
We will keep certain personal information of members for longer in order to confirm your identity, when you were a member of Shettleston Harriers and for how long. We need to do this to comply with the Companies Act 2006, which requires us to keep a register of members or in the event of a claim against Shettleston Harriers.
You can exercise any of the following rights by writing to us at email@example.com
Your rights in relation to your personal information are:
• you have a right to request access to the personal information that we hold about you by making a “subject access request”;
• if you believe that any of your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, you have a right to request that we correct or complete your personal information;
• you have a right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information for specific purposes; and
• if you wish us to delete your personal information, you may request that we do so.
Any requests received by Shettleston Harriers will be considered under applicable data protection legislation. If you remain dissatisfied, you have a right to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.org.uk